In an effort to best help you set yourself up for lunch time success, I am continuing my mini-series of composed salads. An ideal make ahead lunch is simply thrown together, is up for interpretation pending tastes and ingredient availability, and most importantly, is durable enough to last a few days in the fridge. Kale and wild rice salad checks all the boxes, and leaves you satisfied and sustained from lunch time to slump bump time.
Nutty and earthy wild rice, toasted pistachios, sweet currants, kale, and mustardy dressing blend together seamlessly for a hearty and nourishing easy and accessible lunch. Don't have pistachios? Swap in toasted walnuts! Raisins on deck? Use them in place of currants. Collards or arugula in your CSA box? Switch them up in place of kale. Being open and adaptable to what you have on hand allows lunch prep to be simple and seamless. Your waistline and your wallet will thank you.
kale + WILD AND brown RICE SALAD
Adapted from the Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long grain rice, cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 2 ribs celery, small dice
- 6 radishes, sliced into half moons
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 tbsps brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In medium bowl, combine rice, celery, radishes, scallions, kale, currants, and pistachios.
- In a blender, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Add the dressing to rice and vegetable mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Add parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.