Are you a sucker for granola? I am, especially for a particular one made by my mother-in-law that I affectionately like to call "granola crack". Unfortunately, most packaged and addictive granola is saturated with butter, hydrogenated oil, and processed sugar. Don't despair "crack heads", I have the antidote for your addiction - cacao cranberry granola, guaranteed to shake your shivers.
Cacao Cranberry "Crack"
- 2 cups extra thick rolled oats
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 tbsps flaxseeds
- 1 tsp sea salt or vanilla bean salt
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice or alternatively use raisins or unsweetened cherries
- 2 tbsps raw cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. On a parchment paper-lined sheet tray, toss oats, oil, maple syrup, spices, vanilla bean powder, nuts, flaxseeds, and salt. Toast for 15-20 minutes or until nuts and oats are golden. Toss halfway through cooking.
- Once cooled, mix in dried fruit and cacao. Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temp for up to two weeks.
- Enjoy 1/4 cup granola with nut milk, greek-style yogurt, or kefir and add some fresh fruit for a nourishing and balanced breakfast, snack, or even dessert.