It's summer time and we all want to look and feel our best. For the next two weeks, I will be featuring simple, nourishing recipes to help you reset for the summer season. Whether your plans include travel, hanging at the beach, or just enjoying the great outdoors, these recipes will be sure to make you feel clean and refreshed without sacrificing flavor and seasonality. First up - a Mexican style chopped salad with creamy cashew lime dressing.
The ingredient list may seem long but, once you chop your veggies, all you have to do is toss everything together. If you don't feel like taking the steps to soak and blend cashews for the dressing, simply combine all of your ingredients with fresh lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and some apple cider vinegar.
Feel free to improv with what you can snag at the greenmarket. This salad would be excellent with the addition of grilled corn, chopped radicchio or, for additional protein, blackened shrimp.
Mexican-Style Chopped Salad
pickled red onion
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup boiled water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
cashew lime cilantro dressing
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked for at least an hour or up to six hours
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 scallions, chopped
- pinch of salt and white pepper
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (orange, yellow, or red), chopped
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 head of romaine, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- To make the pickled red onions, place the red onions into a large mason jar or large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and peppercorns. Pour the liquid over the onions and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- For the dressing, drain the cashews. Combine cashews, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, sherry vinegar, cumin, scallions, salt, pepper, and water in a blender or a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to thin. Taste and adjust lime juice or sherry vinegar, if desired.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, add desired amount of pickled red onions, and toss with dressing.