A few weeks ago I was dining with two super inspiring vegheads, Ali of Inspiralized and Alyssa of Simply Quinoa at the vegcentric restaurant, ABCV. We noshed on many tasty dishes, but avocado lettuce cups with roasted carrots was a standout. It also seemed like the most adaptable to make at home. Spicy carrots with crunchy vegetables and creamy tahini all wrapped up in a lettuce cup is a simple way to continue resetting for summer.
This dish can be completely prepped in advance and enjoyed as a light lunch, snack, or as a side to a larger meal.
avocado lettuce cups with cumin rubbed carrots and pepitas
- 6 to 7 large carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut, avocado, or olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons, or more, filtered water
- 12 to 14 leaves bibb lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Toss together the carrots, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and oil. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes until carrots are tender and slightly caramelized.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the tahini, oil, lemon juice, and water until smooth. Taste and adjust the oil, water, or lemon juice, if needed, for desired taste and viscosity.
- To assemble, roughly chop cooled carrots. Layer 2 to 3 pieces of lettuce and fill with carrots, cucumber, radish, and avocado. Top with tahini dressing and pepitas.