Time to break out those glass containers for another round of meal prep breakfasts! Miranda and I had so much fun working on our frittata prep that we thought we’d go for round two, featuring one of our favorite set-yourself-up-for-success breakfasts - steel cut oats. I typically like to make a big batch of steel cut oats early in the week, pre-portion it out into 5 containers, add healthy and delicious toppers, and out the door you go. What I love about this particular style of meal prep is that it reminds me of those prepackaged oatmeal packets my mom would throw together on a busy morning before school. These are much more grown up, good for you, and without all the scary additives. So get creative and enjoy an easy, simple week of great tasting and great for you breakfast!
Steel Cut Oatmeal To Go
Makes 5 servings of oats
Recipe Courtesy of Jeanette Donnarumma
- 1 cup organic, gluten free, steel-cut oats
- 3 cups filtered water
In a medium stainless steel sauce pot over medium heat, add oats. Use a wooden spoon to toss the oats around, allowing them to toast for about 4-5 minutes. Once they are toasted and smell fragrant, add in your water and stir to combine. Bring water and oats to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender and desired consistency is achieved. Leave pot uncovered for loose fluffy oats or keep it covered for more porridge textured oats.
Eat hot or allow to cool before you store in the refrigerator. Cooked oats will last in the refrigerator for up to a week if stored in an airtight container.
- Dried apple, almond, chia oats- top oats with 4 chopped organic dried apple rings, 2 tablespoons shaved almonds, and 1 tablespoon chia seeds.
- Cinnamon raisin oats- top oats with 3 tablespoons golden raisins and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Banana walnut oats- top oats with ½ sliced banana and 2 tablespoons chopped or whole toasted walnuts.
- Fresh fruit oats- top oats with 3 sliced organic strawberries and 3 tablespoons organic fresh blueberries.
- Cranberry orange oats- top oats with 2 tablespoons dried no sugar added cranberries and the zest of ½ of an organic orange.
Meal Prep Tips:
- Allow the oats to cool and divide into five - 2 cup glass containers. Add toppings and seal containers.
- To reheat the oats before serving, either pour 2-3 tablespoons of hot water over the top of your dish and stir well to combine the toppings, oats, and hot water. Or, pour 2-3 tablespoons of water or plant-based milk (I prefer almond or cashew) and microwave without a lid for 2-3 minutes.