Looking for a drinkable dessert this Valentine's Day that's just the right amount of naughty? Look no further than this dark chocolate hazelnutty cocoa with a splash of the hard stuff - guaranteed to get the sparks flying and the libido pumping.
Recipe and photos by Danielle Lipson
Nutty for Love - Hazelnut Hot Cocoa
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, soaked overnight, drained
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight, drained
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup dark semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, depending on preference, at least 70% cacao
- 1 scant tsp of cacao powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 oz - 2 oz of Frangelico
- Optional toppings: Marshmallows and shaved dark chocolate
- In a high speed blender, process hazelnuts and water until creamy and smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
- Press milk through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag into a large bowl. Measure out 2 cups and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate, cacao, salt, and a generous splash of nut milk - enough to cover the bottom of the pot. With the heat on low, whisk the ingredients together until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add reserved nut milk and stir intermittently.
- When the mixture begins to foam around the edges, remove from heat.
- Divide Frangelico and cocoa into two small mugs.
- Top with marshmallows and shaved dark chocolate, if you or your valentine desire.