In the midst of summer, the last thing you want to do is blast your oven for long periods of time. Summertime dietary habits transition to lighter, easier fare, but ensuring that you are getting an optimal balance of nutrients is key. Summer salads loaded with crunchy green goodness and protein are an ideal way to stay nourished and fortified while keeping cool and calm in the kitchen.
A simple zesty salad filled with refreshing arugula and fennel, tossed with a light lemony dressing, provides the foundation for this hearty and summery salad. Omega-3 rich wild salmon that is lightly roasted makes this salad a meal and keeps the oven use to a minimum. The finishing touch comes from a creamy dollop of tarragon yogurt dressing, which not only adds extra protein and calcium to the dish, but also gives an additional layer of flavor and texture.
Gone are the days where yogurt is eaten only for breakfast, and on most days, I include one yogurt every day into my eating repertoire. Whether it is simply topped with fresh fruit and nut butter as a snack, used to thicken a soup, or whisked up to create a creamy yet healthy dressing or sauce, I love taking thick and creamy Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt out of the package and into my cooking. Oikos can serve as a fantastic healthy substitute for heavy cream, mayo, or sour cream in your favorite recipe or new culinary adventure.
Keep it simple this summer with this delicious and fortifying salad which will impress a crowd and help keep you healthily satiated and cool.
Wild salmon and arugula fennel salad with tarragon yogurt dressing
For the salmon
- 1 1/2 pounds wild salmon filet (King Salmon is my personal favorite)
- Sea salt + black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the salad
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup parsley leaves
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the tarragon yogurt
- 1/2 cup Oikos Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt + black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place salmon on top of parchment paper and season with a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon paprika. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or to your preference in doneness.
- While the salmon cooks, whisk together the lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and black pepper. Place the arugula, fennel, and parsley into a large serving bowl or platter and toss with dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, tarragon, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once the salmon is cooked to your liking, place on top of greens, and either dollop yogurt on top or serve on the side. Enjoy immediately.
I have partnered with Dannon to help promote Oikos. I have been compensated for my time commitment to review Oikos. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.