Memorial Day is practically here, and what better way to kick off the holiday weekend then with some BBQ. You can leave the charcoal and the meat at the store because all this recipe calls for is some homemade BBQ sauce, some veggies, and a trusted pan.
In celebration of the unofficial start of summer, I teamed up with All-Clad to giveaway two All-Clad d5 Stainless-Steel All-In-One Pans available exclusively at Williams-Sonoma. To enter, tell me how you are staying healthy this holiday weekend in the comments below. Two winners will be selected at random on 5/31/16.
The BBQ tempeh can be served two ways - Sloppy Joe style or in a grain bowl. Either way, it is spicy, flavorful, and full of vegan protein. A vibrant crunchy slaw brings together this dish, which is an all around crowd pleaser, even for the most discerning carnivore.
If you are new to tempeh, it can be a little funky at first. Tempeh is traditionally made from partially cooked fermented soybeans and originates from Indonesia. It is minimally processed and has an adaptable taste and texture. There are now soy-free options for individuals with allergies or intolerances. Be sure to purchase tempeh from a reputable manufacturer who uses organic soybeans. Tempeh is not only a source of vegan protein, but it also contains calcium and iron. Not sold on tempeh? Good quality antibiotic-free ground chicken or turkey can work here too!
BBQ Tempeh + Rainbow Slaw
Barbecue sauce + tempeh
adapted from the Natural Gourmet Institute
- 1 1/4 cups good quality ketchup - I used Sir Kensington's, or make your own and sub maple crystals or syrup for sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup filtered water
Place all the ingredients into a small pot and simmer until thickened. This takes approximately 10-15 minutes. Add additional water, if needed to thin.
- 8 oz block organic tempeh
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the tempeh. Alternatively, you can coarsely chop the tempeh into small pieces.
- Warm the oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add tempeh and brown. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Once golden, transfer tempeh to the sauce and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups kale leaves, shredded
- 1 small orange, yellow, or red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small jalapeño, minced, seeds removed for a mild kick
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, kale, bell pepper, jalapeño, and cilantro into a large bowl.
- In a blender, combine the ginger, brown rice vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, and sesame oil. Blend until smooth.
- Pour dressing over slaw and massage with your hands to gently break down the cabbage and the kale.
- sprouted whole wheat or gluten-free bun
- quinoa or brown rice
To assemble, place 1/2 cup tempeh on a toasted bun. Top with slaw and additional garnishes, if you wish. Alternatively, serve in a bowl with quinoa or brown rice, slaw, and garnishes.
Have a great holiday weekend!
This post is in partnership with All-Clad. Thank you for the support!