Some things are just better on toast. Avocado mash, chocolate hazelnut spread, ricotta and honey to name a few, but this pea and mint pesto just may take the cake. Fresh or thawed peas, mint, and lemon shine in this perfect-for-spring pesto. For all of you non-bread people out there, this pesto works wonders with crudités, quinoa, whole grain pasta, dolloped over salads or served on top roasted vegetables.
Mint Pea Pesto + Ricotta Toast
Makes 1 cup pesto
Mint Pea Pesto
- 2 spring garlic, chopped (whites and greens) or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup peas, blanched if fresh, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp pistachios, toasted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Good quality whole grain bread - we like the sprouted spelt from She Wolf Bakery, sliced
- Clove of garlic, sliced in half
- 8 oz sheep milk ricotta
- Chili flakes
- Pea tendrils or pea microgreens
- Pulse all the pesto ingredients together in a food processor. Taste and adjust, if needed.
- When serving on bread, toast bread and rub with garlic. Smear with a thin layer of ricotta, top with pesto, a sprinkle of chili flakes, and pea tendrils.