Thanksgiving is a mere few days away. Are you still looking for a very veggie side to up your plant forward T-Day game? I've got another seamless, no fuss, crowd pleaser, that will leave you and your guests nourished and happily fortified for Thanksgiving and beyond.
I am quite partial to a spicy and a sweet flavor balance and lean heavily on cayenne and maple to achieve that equilibrium. Not a spice fan? Feel free to omit it and simply roast the carrots without the kick for a sweet, citrusy, nutrient-rich side dish.
Maple Citrus Roasted Carrots
- 12-14 large rainbow carrots, peeled if needed
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- Juice of 1 small orange + 2 tsps orange zest
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Optional garnishes: microgreens, gomasio
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, orange juice, zest, cayenne, olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a good grinding of pepper. Toss in carrots and coat well.
- Transfer carrots to the sheet tray and roast for 30-45 minutes or until fork tender. Check frequently and turn half way through cooking. Cooking time will vary pending on the thickness of carrots.
- Serve with garnishes, if you wish.