Summery soba noodle bowls with raw and roasted seasonal vegetables is the ideal simple and satiating end-of-summer meal. For this bowl, I tossed broccoli with cayenne pepper and chili powder to create a spicy coating and roasted until tender and slightly crisp. Thinly shredded raw zucchini and squash paired nicely with brown rice and wakame soba. To bring all the ingredients together, a quick lime and herb laced ginger tahini sauce was the ideal dressing for this light and summery bowl.
Summer Soba Bowl with Spicy Broccoli
- 1 Package of Brown Rice and Wakame Soba or buckwheat soba
- 1 zucchini- thinly sliced-use a spiralizer, rigged peeler, or knife
- 1 yellow squash- thinly sliced-use a spiralizer, rigged peeler, or knife
- 2 tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 1/2 an avocado- thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber- thinly sliced
- Spicy Broccoli (see recipe)
- Sesame tahini sauce (see recipe)
Prepare soba per cooking directions on package-rinse with cold water to arrest the cooking.
Spicy Roasted Broccoli
(this makes a tad bit more than needed, but it is a great veg to have on hand to toss in your salad or with a grain)
- 2 heads of broccoli- florets removed and trimmed into even pieces, stalk peeled and diced.
- 1/4 cup olive oil or unrefined coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic-finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Sea salt for light dusting
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
In a bowl whisk together the oil, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. Add the broccoli and mix to coat. On a parchment paper lined sheet tray, spread out the broccoli and roast for about 10 minutes, toss half way through cooking. Broccoli should still have a slight bite, but lightly browned, season with sea salt to taste.
Ginger Tahini Sauce
- 1 clove garlic-finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger- finely chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 scallions- white and pale green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro- roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp low sodium tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini (sodium free)
- 1/4 cup water
In a bowl combine all the ingredients- reserving a small handful of cilantro and scallions for garnish. Whisk well and let flavors blend together.
To compose individual bowls, place 1/4 cup soba noodles into an individual serving bowl and gently toss with 1 tbsp of sesame tahini sauce. Arrange the broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumber, and 1/4 of the avocado around the perimeter of the bowl. Spoon the sesame tahini sauce over vegetables, garnish with reserved herbs, and a sprinkling of hemp seeds.