Oatmeal is one of my most favorite ways to start the day. I view oatmeal as a blank canvas, open to seasonal interpretations and variations. Currently, pumpkin oats with wintery spices topped with fresh pomegranate seeds and raw cacao nibs is my favorite way to warm-up, fuel-up, and start the day.
I typically make my oatmeal in a rice cooker-one part oats, one part water, and one part homemade hemp milk on the porridge setting. If you do not have a rice cooker, the conventional stove top method works perfectly.
my favorite way to eat oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (hemp, almond, 2 %, skim)
- 1 cup extra thick whole grain rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp cinnamon (depending on preference, I like it heavy on the cinnamon)
- 1/8 tsp each of nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp raw walnuts, roughly chopped, pepitas, hemp seeds, chia seeds, or/and ground flax seeds
Bring water and milk to a boil. Stir in rolled oats, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, spices, and raisins. Reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for two minutes. Top with cacao nibs, pomegranate seeds, nuts, seeds, and additional milk, if you wish.
I am quite partial to Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats for their consistency and quality. Thanks Bob.
How do you like your oats?