In a continual effort to give the people what they want, I posed a question on social media last week asking the veghead community what they would like to see more of on crunchy radish. A large majority of you said simple salads and lunches. This salad checks those boxes and can be made in advance and simply assembled in the morning for a packable crunchable lunch.
I have always been a Greek salad fan, and I am especially fond of the one from Kefi on the Upper West Side. The balance of salty and crunchy gets me every time. To add some nutritional millage to this crunch fest, I incorporated protein fom fiber-filled chickpeas, and hearty whole grain farro. To make this in advance and take to work, I recommend combining all the ingredients except the romaine the night before. In the morning, top your grain mixture with chopped romaine and tote your dressing on the side - ready to be mixed before you eat. You could also toss the farro and chickpea mixture with dressing the night before, allowing the flavors to marinate, and add in the romaine when you are about to eat. For those of you who are gluten-free, whole grain sorghum is a good alternative to farro.
greek grain salad
serves 4- 6
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 head romaine, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb Persian cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup dill, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of radishes, thinly sliced. I used the mandolin, but it can be done by hand
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 ounces of feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Rinse and drain farro. Place in a pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste farro for doneness. Farro should be slightly chewy, similar to al dente pasta. Drain off any excess water and set aside.
- Whisk oil, za'atar, and red wine vinegar in a bowl or place into a mason jar and shake.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, chickpeas, farro, cucumbers, red bell peppers, olives, tomatoes, red onion, radish, scallions, and half of the feta, avocado, and dill. Pour dressing over salad, toss to coat. Scatter the remaining feta, dill, and avocado over the top and serve.