Searching for an easy breakfast that you can prep in advance and enjoy seamlessly with your family Christmas morning? Look no further then this simple and delicious baked egg casserole bursting with colorful vegetables.
very veggie breakfast casserole
If there is a vegetable you don't like or can't procure, simply omit it or swap it for something more preferable.
- 8 pasture-raised eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato, reconstituted in warm water, drained, and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in most of the cheese, mix, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat, add the sweet potatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté until tender and slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and scallions and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the spinach and allow to wilt slightly.
- Pour the eggs into the greased baking dish and add the potato-spinach mixture. Use a spoon to evenly distribute all of the vegetables. Top with remaining cheese. At this point you can cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Transfer baking dish to the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Cook until the eggs are golden and set.
- Cut into 6 squares and enjoy.