If you happened to have indulged this past weekend or know you will be faced with a barrage of holiday eating challenges, use this clean and nourishing protein-rich breakfast to get back on track. Quinoa, warm spices, maple syrup, and fresh fruit make this a clean and delicious wintertime recipe worth waking up for.
Why black quinoa? Black quinoa is a tad more earthier and sweeter than the other varieties. Not only is the color stunning, especially when paired with bright and vibrant fruit, it is a complete plant-based protein which, like other types of quinoa, is full of fiber, folate, and iron. Can't find black? Red or white would work perfectly here too.
Black quinoa Porridge
- 1/2 cup black quinoa, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup milk of your choice + additional for serving
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- For serving: toasted coconut flakes, sliced persimmon, pomegranate seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the quinoa, 1/2 cup milk, water, spices, salt, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer covered for 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in additional 1/4 cup milk.
- To serve, spoon quinoa into bowls and, if desired, top with additional milk, coconut flakes, fruit, and seeds.