Although we do not promote heavy drinking here at Crunchy Radish, we do like to have an occasional seasonal health-minded cocktail or a glass of wine. To help combat the bitter winter chill, I called upon our house mixologist, Danielle Lipson, to spice up and healthify a classic winter favorite - the hot toddy.
Slightly tart and a little sweet, with a nice kick from ginger and spicy honey, this bourbon-laced bev will warm you up in no time....just try to stick to one mug, if you can.
toddy for a hottie
Spicy Maple Ginger kicker
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced, grated, or peeled
- 2 tbsps spicy honey - we like Bees Knees. If you can't find spicy honey, use regular honey and add 1/8 tsp of chili flakes.
In a small sauce pan over low heat, combine maple syrup, ginger, honey, and 1/4 cup filtered water. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Strain and set aside.
For each toddy:
- 1.5 oz. Bourbon- we recommend Bulleit
- .5 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- .5 oz spicy maple ginger kicker
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
Combine all ingredients in a mug, top with boiling water, and mix well.
photos and recipe by Danielle Lipson