I teamed up with my friends at Whole Foods Market NYC to bring you The Crunchy Radish Cinco Series, a healthier take on a festive holiday.
The stars must have been aligned this year because Cinco de Mayo falls on Taco Tuesday! Yes, you read that right, vegheads. To celebrate this momentous occasion, we here at Crunchy Radish went the veggie route - no surprises there. In order to get our fiesta on, we created a taco that is both simple and satisfying. It's the ideal way to say olé on your next taco day.
Spicy Potato and Crispy Kale Tacos
- 4 medium sized blue potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Olive oil
- 2 tsps chili powder
- Sea salt
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, leaves removed from stem and thinly sliced
- 8 soft organic corn tortillas, taco sized (2 per person). I like this brand, warmed
Turmeric Lime Crema
- 5 oz 2% plain Siggi's or Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- A few grindings of freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz ramps, greens and bulbs separated
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Sea salt
- Lime crema
- Ramp pesto
- Red cabbage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, toss diced potatoes with 2 tsps olive oil, chili powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are crispy.
- While the potatoes cook, heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a skillet. Sauté kale until wilted. You may need to do this in two batches, using additional oil as needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- To make the turmeric lime crema, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- For the ramp pesto, blanch ramp greens in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer greens to a bowl of ice water. Drain and squeeze out liquid. Coarsely chop ramp bulbs and stalks and walnuts in a food processor. Add ramp greens, olive oil, and process to a coarse paste. Season with a pinch of salt.
- To assemble, lay warmed tortillas on a flat surface. Spoon a few potatoes and kale onto the tortilla, garnish with crema, pesto, and additional accoutrements.