In the doldrums of winter, perk yourself up with this vibrant winter citrus salad. Bright in color and in taste, a salad composed of tart and tangy citrus, crunchy cabbage, detoxifying fennel, and smooth avocado is just the cure for a bleak and gray winter day.
Oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, and tangerines are all bursting to the brim with Vitamin C - the powerhouse antioxidant that gives a boost to the immune system. This citrus salad is loaded with vitamins and minerals and is finished with a zesty cilantro lime dressing. For a dose of vegan protein, finish this dynamic salad off with a generous sprinkling of hemp seeds.
Winter Citrus Salad
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsps white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cilantro leaves picked and cleaned + additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced (or repurpose leftover sweet and sour cabbage)
- 1 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds saved for garnish
- 1 navel orange or small red grapefruit or pomelo, or a combination of all three, segmented
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsps hemp seeds
- Sea salt + black pepper
- In a high speed blender, combine the jalapeño, lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, and olive oil until an emulsion is formed.
- Toss the cabbage with 2 tbsps of the dressing and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Gently scatter the citrus segments and avocado over the cabbage and sprinkle with hemp seeds, cilantro leaves, and fennel fronds. Finish with a grinding of black pepper and additional dressing, if needed.